I am a Senior Scientist at the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory in Philips Research North America, Cambridge, Massachusetts. My research interests span a wide range of topics in the areas of Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning. I currently focus on solving problems related to Clinical Question Answering and Intelligent Information Extraction using Deep Learning techniques.
Before joining Philips, I was a Post Doctoral Fellow at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Lethbridge, Canada.
I obtained my PhD. in May, 2013 in Computer Science (with a focus in Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, and Machine Learning) at the University of Lethbridge. My PhD. dissertation was entitled "Complex Question Answering: Minimizing the Gaps and Beyond". My doctoral committee members were: Yllias Chali, Dragomir Radev, Guy Lapalme, Sajjad Zahir, Kevin Grant, and Howard Cheng.
- (Sep, 2016) Paper on "Neural Paraphrase Generation" accepted in COLING 2016.
- (Aug, 2016) Paper on "Translation of UMLS Ontologies from European to Brazilian Portuguese" accepted in CBIS 2016.
- (Aug, 2016) Program Committee member for Clinical Natural Language Processing Workshop at COLING 2016.
- (May, 2016) Attended Yoshua Bengio's talk at Twitter Boston.
- (May, 2016) Invited talk on "Complex Question Answering" at Brandeis University.
- (May, 2016) Attended Alborz Geramifard's talk at Amazon.
- (Feb, 2016) Presented at the Computational Linguistics "Meet 'n' Greet" industry reception in Brandeis University.
- (Nov, 2015) Gave a talk on real-time Twitter stream filtering at the NIST TREC-2015 Conference.
- (Sep, 2015) Attended the 2015 MIT Digital Health Conference in Cambridge, MA.
- (Aug, 2015) Attended the MEDINFO-2015 Conference in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- (Aug, 2015) Paper on semantic search published in MEDINFO-2015.
- (May, 2015) Philips Research Collaborates with MIT.
- (Mar, 2015) Paper on question generation published in Computational Linguistics.
- (Feb, 2015) Paper on reinforcement learning published in Information Processing and Management.
- (Nov, 2014) Gave a talk on clinical question answering at the NIST TREC-2014 Conference.
- (Nov, 2014) Attended the AMIA-2014 Conference in Washington DC.
- (Oct, 2014) Paper on reinforcement learning published in EMNLP-2014.
- (Aug, 2014) Attended the biggest ever KDD: KDD-2014 Conference in New York City.
- Reviewer for NIPS-2016, NAACL-2016, AMIA-2016, AMIA-2015, MEDINFO-2015, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Computer Speech and Language, Artificial Intelligence Review, Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research.